Thursday, October 9, 2008

Slater Fuhriman?

So one thing nobody prepares you for about marriage is discussions about baby names. You think you know someone until they start telling you the names they love for your own kids. Let's just say Jessica and I have different tastes (and different memories of names).

Slater is a perfect example. Jessica loves this name, to the point that if the name itself were a man I believe she would annul our marriage and marry it and have its own babies.

When I hear that name, this is all I can think about:
Oh, and this:


That's not to say that some of my own favorite names aren't "out there" a bit, but how am I supposed to expect anything more from my son named Slater than to hang out at Max's and wrestle? Oh, and date Elizabeth Berkeley and call her "Momma."

Jessica likes that when she asked on WikiAnswers what the name "Slater" means, the response she got was, "Cool." I hate WikiAnswers. To me, we may as well call our son Screech Belding LisaTurtle Bayside Fuhriman.

So what do you think, friends? Am I being unreasonable? Should I work to get over my fear that with the name Slater our son will be born with a greasy mullet? I ask for your help this fine day...

11 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm with you on this one, Dave. If you have a son and name him Slater, we will buy him a black unitard for the baby shower.

Jessica said...

Whatever, Slater is a great name. Dave wants to name our daughters Kirby, Quinn, and Rhett. No, I am not kidding. Yes, I might have to kill myself.

Jessica said...

PS- The name doesn't make me think of AC Slater. More like KELLY Slater.

dana said...

DEFINITE NO on Slater. For sure it's Saved by the Bell. Although maybe SBTB is retro cool now...?

Emily said...

Jess, usually I'm on your side, I'm with you on Mary and Ashleigh but Slater? Like Dana said, SBTB is retro cool but what happened to Brody?

Nicole said...

KIRBY? That is my vacuum, Dave, not a child.

Jessica said...

Emily- Nothing has happened to Brody; Brody and Slater will be the coolest brothers that ever live. Anyway, how're you gonna knock Slater? You want to name your kids after street signs!!!

Erica said...

Even though everyone is knocking it, I really like the name Slater and have considered it for a long time as a name for our little boy (if we have one). It is my maiden name after all.

Jodie said...

I love the name Brody, but I can't get John to agree to it. Anyway, because it reminds me of power tools, I'm going to have to say no to Slater. Unless your other kids are named Hammer, Drillbit and Wrench. Then you'd be one big happy family!

Bill said...

I think enough time has passed that Slater is safe.

Remember I am married to the girl that has family history with naming all children with the same letter... so far we have 3 boys - Mason, Madden, Macksen... we have talked about girl names in the event that we ever decide to have another kid. I agreed with her on the name Miley...then along comes that d@mn Hannah Montana....

You could just jump straight to Mario Lopez Fuhriman.

ps - kind of embarassed about being the only dude to comment here

PlusOne said...

No, just no. That's all I have to say on that matter. No. Nope. No. Please, if you love your child, do not name them Slater.