Sunday, November 16, 2008

Fun With Old Pictures


One of the benefits I have of watching my parents' house is access to some really old and really tremendous pictures. Consider this the first installment of a series of analyses of "landmark" photos in the Fuhriman Archives. I commence this exercise with perhaps the most iconic photograph of the Fuhriman kids -- this one is like that picture of the sailor kissing that nurse in Times Square on V-J Day (and no, kids that has nothing to do with MTV): The Aspen Grove Picture.

Let me set the stage: It was the summer of 1980, and we went to Aspen Grove, a BYU Alumni camp very close to Sundance ski resort outside of Provo. As I recall, it was a week of fun and hilarity, with much drama: I caught a huge fish (or so I recall), Catherine busted open her forehead in the pool, and we have some great video of three-legged races and my mom busting out an epic 40-yard dash that put her on the recruiting watchlist of Portland State.

Oh, and it appears that each of us kids were going through an "awkward stage" of some kind or another. Let's take a closer look:


JEN


In Fuhriman vernacular, this summer for Jen was The Summer Of The Del Monte Hat. I don't believe anyone is aware of the origin of this blessed head covering -- legend has it that a lonseome drifter gifted it to Jen as a tip at her lemonade stand and then disappeared in a puff of smoke, but we've never been able to substantiate that claim. At any rate, the hat in question rarely left Jen's head this entire summer -- even for pictures, where the shade provided by Del Monte hat's considerable bill gives Jen a bit of a Zorro Mask look of mystery. I'm not sure what the Del Monte Hat did to fall out of favor with Jen -- perhaps it was just 6th grade -- but I believe it was last seen on my dad setting up Christmas lights in 2004. The amazing thing? It was actually the newest item of clothing he was wearing at the time; his work shoes were a gift from Sacajawea's son Jean-Baptiste.


CATHERINE


Struggling without the benefit of a Del Monte cap, Catherine is emphasizing her most fascinating qualities: squinty smile, a pigtail perkily flopping off each side of her head, and her buck teeth -- oh, those buck teeth -- gracefully shading her bottom lip and much of her chin for that matter. What tops off this ensemble? Ah, yes, the shirt -- The Roller Queen. Not "A Roller Queen," or even just "Roller Queen." Nope, not good enough for Cath... she's a THE.



"Did you meet Catherine?"



"Not sure, who's she?"



"She's THE Roller Queen."



"Oh well of course I met HER."



Thanks for clearing that up with the shirt, Catherine. And yes, she now has more newborns than she had teeth in this picture. Atta kid!




DIANA


With Catherine, you could tell she was making a college try to keep her eyes open; Jen wisely avoided the issue altogether, but in this picture we see Diana just waving the proverbial white flag to smiling with her eyes open; it's like she just said to my parents: "Yeah, I know you want me smiling. I know you also want my eyes open. But I'm 4 going on 5, I've got these annoying glasses treating my eyes like they're ants under a magnifying glass, and it's not like you're going to see anyone else's eyes either. So just TAKE THE PICTURE!" Those eyes are glued shut... or to make use of a more timely phrase, O-Glued shut.



Di is also going with the statement shirt today -- it reads, "Kids Need Love And Other Stuff." Other stuff being things like a Del Monte cap for the 4-year-old.



ME



As far as not squinting during pictures... I don't think I had my eyes open for a picture until I was 28. This was pretty much as good as it got, a hint of the retina. I've got a "24" shirt on, no doubt an early "shout-out" to one of the best TV shows ever created.


And about my arms/hands -- I have two hypotheses: I was either in Ricky Bobby form and had no idea what to do with my arms and hands during a picture, or I was doing the first ever recorded "raise the roof" for Aspen Grove's tremendous hospitality. Obviously, it was the second one.



So there you have it. The Summer of '80 in a nutshell. Well, this and "Magic" by Olivia Newton-John being tops in the Billboard charts. A few minutes later, we would hop into our yellow, wood-paneled station wagon and plod our way back to Oregon -- the headwounds heal, the fish get eaten, the Del Monte caps make their way to some landfill... but The Aspen Grove Picture lives on. And thank goodness for that, right Dear Sisters?

7 comments:

Diana said...

I am not sure that I like you having unlimited access to these lovely pictures. It did bring back some good memories and a closer look at some interesting images of us all. I had a big laugh!! Thanks Dave!!
Love,
Diana

Jessica said...

Hilarious! Every time I think about this I laugh again.

Nicole said...

You are all winners in this photo, but I think your sister, Catherine, takes the cake. Those teeth are amazing.

SassyMama said...

Oh, you had to go and bust out the Aspen Grove picture, did you? I should remind you, dear brother, that I have my own collection of family photos... :-).

I unfortunately have to admit that your analysis of said picture is disturbingly accurate. Oh... and Hey Now on my teeth. I like to think this is as bad as they got. Clearly my front teeth bore the brunt of my thumb-sucking addiction. Oh, it is a good thing that I "got" to wear a head gear through 6th grade...

Thanks for the good laugh, dear brother :-)

Shanda McKeehan said...

Dave -- This may go down as one of the best blog posts in the history of blogging. I may pull this up during my staff meeting at work tomorrow or maybe at Church during Sunday school -- it is that good. I will look for ways to tie in clever object lessons everywhere, it is so great. I laughed, literally cried and rolled on the floor laughing. It just goes to show you that everyone goes through an awkward stage, because your entire family, minus you, are all hotties now. As for you, if I didn't know better, I would say you won Jessica over with your mad bogging and scrap booking skills.

Courtney said...

OH MY GOSH!! I sooooo have a family picture exactly like this! I didn't know that anybody else that I knew went to Aspen Grove!! Scary flashbacks.....

Liz Laudie said...

Dave,
You had me rolling on the floor. I got to check out your site more often.

Rich