Friday, August 15, 2008

Once, Twice, Three Times A Baby



Back in March I got a call from my sister to call her when I get a chance. Now, I love my sister and we're tight, but it's not like we have urgent business to discuss all that much. I had a couple options of what was going on that made her call with a request for a call back soon:


  • she was coming to Oregon to visit (if you know Catherine, this is not unusual -- she falls asleep wrong and wakes up in another state if not another country)

  • she had a free ticket to go with Matt and her to Djibouti or something -- also not unusual, given that I traveled with her to Austria for a week one time on 2 week's notice since Matt had a trial come up, and we kind of ended up in New Zealand on a whim.

  • she had her identity stolen and needed to borrow mine (she's had this happen before, but thankfully for her she didn't need mine at any point)

  • She was pregnant.

She and Matt have been trying for a looooong time, so naturally I was hoping it was the last option (I mean c'mon, Djibouti in March? Not all that exciting. Everyone knows that's the off-season on the Red Sea). I popped in my oft-reviled Jawbone headset on the way home and gave her a call from traffic. I don't remember the whole conversation, but the Cliff's Notes version is:


Cath -- "Dave, you know how we've been trying to have a baby?'


Dave -- "Yeeeeeeeeaahhhh" (with an ever-increasing pitch)


Cath -- "Well, we're pregnant with five."


Dave -- "Babies?!"


Well, after several months of drama, bed-rest, and daring road-trips to my wedding, my sister gave birth to three healthy babies (one girl, two boys) on Tuesday! Such a blessing, we are so grateful that everything went pretty well and babies and momma are OK. Thirty toes and thirty fingers. I can't wait to meet them! They haven't decided on names, but I have a couple suggestions:



  • Alpha, Bravo and Charlie

  • Peter, Paul and Mary

  • Bacon, Lettuce and Tomato

  • Snap, Crackle and Pop

  • Butcher, Baker and Candlestickmaker (OK, I guess Maker could be a middle name)

  • Alvin, Simon and Theodore

  • Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria

CONGRATS TO MATT AND CATHERINE!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Yay! Now I'm officially not the newest member of the family!!

Will and Sandy said...

We saw the pictures on your sister's blog. They are so cute! I am glad that they are doing so well. I vote for Peter, Paul, and Mary:)

Nicole said...

Fantastic! Congrats to your sister!

Erickson Family said...

I love reading your versions of life. What a very sweet story. You are a great brother. Congrats!

Jessica said...

Congrats!
I'd go with Eeny-Meeny, Miney and Moe.

Stephanie said...

Dave your hillarious...and very clever I might add!

Tamara said...

Congrats!!! What names did they decide?